Thanksgiving

I am thankful for many things at Trinity this year, but I'm going to land on one thing today, because I think it is a microcosm of so much that is good about this place.

This past summer we asked Trinity parent and artist, Jen Hahn, to paint a picture for our South lobby.  She worked over the summer, and early this fall she delivered this beautiful painting to Trinity.  When I tried to pay her for it, she just smiled and said it was a gift.  It is our joy to receive this gift, and I trust that Jen is learning what God means when he tells us that the one who sows generously will reap generously. 

   









 Here's what Jen said about this painting:

"I made this painting to illustrate God in a cloud above a pastoral field.  I selected the color palette to imbue a feeling of power above in the sky, and peace and quiet below in a place where a person might like to walk while perhaps lost in thought, or sit in prayer, of kneel in gratitude--a place where we feel God's presence over us."

Her inspiration was Psalm 95: "Come, let us bow down in worship.  Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care."

Jen goes on to say that "this verse describes for me the daily attitude of our hearts and bodies before a mighty and loving God, and it describes for me the posture of Trinity School before Him.  He is our Maker and our Shepherd.  We are His flock.  He attended us from the beginning of Trinity, and He attends us now with His care."

"I dedicate this painting to all who spend time within Trinity's walls--students, faculty and staff, volunteers, parents, and grandparents, and guests.  May you feel cared for as part of this flock."


 Thanks be to God for his many gifts to Trinity School!

Desiree Denton and Janice McAdams helped make this gift possible and arranged for its place in our lobby.




Comments

When I taught at Trinity, I would sometimes work late and finally leave campus around dusk. It was a surprising blessing that the view from the parking lot afforded a gorgeous view of the sunset. More than once I stopped, sat down on one of the cement "bumpers" in an empty parking spot, and just breathed deeply for a minute or fifteen while watching the sunlight give way to evening.

That memory is the first thing I thought of when I saw Jen's painting. What a gift!

Popular Posts